Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.


Sixteen months ago I was directionless. 

I had moved back from London, England where I had been living and working as a missionary for six months to my home town. I decided it was time to move on to something, anything different and that meant Winnipeg.

I worked as a delivery driver, made new friends, starting listening to more comedy than evert before, and felt like maybe I was turning into a person I wanted to be. 

A good friend pushed me to take a hard look at myself, and move forward in life. It wasn't that I was particularly stuck I think, but it's easier to turn the wheels if the car is moving, right?

I realized the thing I love most about my passions is telling a story; D&D, all the video games I play, and my passion for comedy all pointed me towards a life where I wanted to be able to tell stories for a career.

I started Creative Communications having graduated high school five years prior and never pursuing post-secondary education. It's been some of the most challenging time in my life.

Now, I'm really not a person who likes to overspiritualize things in my life BUT I do believe my life has a plan and purpose, and I do trust that there's more to life than just living.

My teachers have taught me a buttload about storytelling (and other stuff too) and I've still got a lot to learn, but you know what? I'm starting to see my life as a story being told. 

I know, I KNOW that's a brutal cliche, but I mean it sincerely in this case. The offers I've been given this last year—real tangible offers to write about things I'm deeply passionate about—are a direct result of my efforts to find the next chapter in my life.

I don't know what's next. This summer, next year, after that...

Will I find my dream job? Will I become a national sensation? Will I find that special gal and settle down?

I don't know, man.

But I'm excited. And that's enough right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More