Friday, January 9, 2015

Nick Offerman: American Ham


Nick Offerman was skyrocketed into pop culture in 2009 with his portrayal of Ron Swanson on NBC's Parks and Recreation. Ron Swanson is so traditionally masculine that Hemingway himself might think twice about trading shots with him. 

Interestingly, Nick Offerman's personality is nearer to Swanson's than many actors are to their characters. He has successfully operated a woodshop for a number of years, and has made everything from canoes to ukeleles himself. 

I've listened to Offerman's great interviews on the Nerdist Podcast (first and second) and loved his philosophies and attitudes on life, acting, and what it means to be a man. 



I've said all this because I want you to know how ready I was to love his special, American Ham. Offerman is not a stand-up, per se, but a "humourist". Think of Mark Twain, and how he wasn't doing bits about airplane food, but more specific observational anecdotes.

Sadly, I did not like American Ham.




I know Chris, I know Leslie. I was shocked too.

Offerman doesn't even have the problem of being "not funny". He has the problem of being a very funny person doing material that is unoriginal and, more much of the special, rather boring.

He does almost 15 minutes on "Man, the Bible sure says some stupid stuff!" which isn't bad because it could be considered offensive by some, but bad because it's so unoriginal and uninspired that you'd hear much of it at Sunday School (minus the frequent references to oral sex).

There are, of course, redeeming moments, like when he is forced to cut out a parody of a Johnny Cash song and it cuts to a pre-taped video segment featuring Offerman in his workshop feigning bewilderment at the "lawyer" telling him why he can't show the song, while speaking to camera about where fans can go find the song on YouTube. 



I will continue to love Nick Offerman despite this special. I think he's still an inspiring figure, and I tend to agree with much of his personal philosophy. I just won't concern myself with seeking out tickets to any of his one-man shows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More